In 2022, Arc will be awarding one $5,000 grand prize to the Poem of the Year and a $500 prize for an Honourable Mention.
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. The winner receives $250. Visit us in April to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote! Shortlisted poets will be contacted prior to the shortlist going live.
Publication: Shortlisted entries for the Poem of the Year will be published online and in a print issue of Arc, and will receive page-rate payment for online and print publication. Arc secures First Canadian Serial Rights, meaning the poems should not appear in any print or digital publication before the release of the issue in which the work appears. All rights will revert to the author upon publication.
The entry fee is $35 CDN, and includes a one-year Canadian subscription of Arc*.
Contest entry fees may be paid online or by cheque or money order mailed with your hard copy contest submissions.
If the submission fee is prohibitive to your entry in this contest, we are offering a select number of free entries. These free entries are meant to open the contest up to those who need financial assistance, but we will not be giving free entries a one-year subscription to the magazine. For more information please send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*or two issues to US entrants, or one issue to overseas entrants. Entrants who are currently subscribers may pass along their contest subscription or complimentary issues to a friend. Please include the name and address to which the contest subscription is destined.
- Arc welcomes Poem of the Year entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. Entrants outside Canada must submit entry fees in Canadian funds. Please use the online payment option or mail a cheque or money order in Canadian funds.
- Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems with each $35 fee (extra poems: $5 per poem).
- The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines.
- Entrant’s name, address, e-mail and phone number must not appear on the poems.
- Entrants’ information is concealed during deliberations.
- No entrants (including winners, honourable mentions, or authors of shortlisted poems) may substitute, before, during, or after judging, a revision of any poem already submitted to the contest.
- No poems will be returned.
Early Bird Deadline: Entries submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59 pm, December 31. and may consist of 3 poems for a single entry fee. For entries submitted or postmarked after this date, only the first two poems will be considered.
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. Visit us in April to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote!
Publication: All shortlisted poems will receive paid publication in an upcoming issue of Arc and on the Arc website.
Eligibility: Poems published elsewhere (including excerpts and revised versions) are not eligible for consideration. Should the Arc editorial board discover grounds for disqualification at any point during the judging process (including shortlisting and final judging), the poem will immediately be considered ineligible for the contest. The entry fee will not be refunded, and the poet will receive the subscription to Arc.
Privacy Notice: Unless you indicate otherwise, Arc may share addresses of entrants to the 2020 Poem of the Year Contest with similar literary magazines or related organizations for promotional purposes.