POEMS, REVIEWS, ESSAYS:
Arc accepts unsolicited submissions of previously unpublished poetry in English, or translations of poetry into English, on any subject and in any form. Submissions received from September 1 to December 31 will be read for the Summer 2022 issue.
Please note: This submission platform does not accept poems in batches. Each poem must be submitted separately with the poet's biography. Please DO NOT submit several poems grouped in a single document. To save retyping the same bio and cover notes for each poem, we recommend you create them in an offline text document, and paste them in when called for by the uploader. Your individually submitted poems will be treated as a grouped manuscript once they have been submitted.
Submissions must not exceed 3 poems, and will be accepted only once per poet per calendar year. Poetry must be typed and single spaced (double spaces will be interpreted as blank lines). Include your name and address on each page of your submission.
Arc publishes reviews, interviews, and articles on poetry and poetry-related subjects. Please query first as Arc seldom considers unsolicited prose manuscripts; submit pitches or ideas, including a brief description and an estimate of anticipated length, along with samples of previously published work.
Arc does not publish fiction or drama.
Arc publishes a limited amount of artwork in black and white and in colour by a single artist or photographer in each issue, including on the front and back covers, and on up to eight inside pages. Please see www.arcpoetry.ca for artwork submission guidelines.
Arc tries respond to unsolicited submissions of poetry, artwork, and article queries within four to six months. Arc can’t promise to respond to inquiries regarding the status of submissions before the completion of this editorial cycle.
Arc’s Writers’ Fees are as follows:
$50 per page for poetry or prose published in the magazine.
$50 per webpage for online reprints on the website.
$50 per column for How Poems Work (see guidelines for How Poems Work).
In 2022, Arc will be awarding one $5,000 grand prize to the Poem of the Year and a $500 prize for an Honourable Mention.
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. The winner receives $250. Visit us in April to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote! Shortlisted poets will be contacted prior to the shortlist going live.
Publication: Shortlisted entries for the Poem of the Year will be published online and in a print issue of Arc, and will receive page-rate payment for online and print publication. Arc secures First Canadian Serial Rights, meaning the poems should not appear in any print or digital publication before the release of the issue in which the work appears. All rights will revert to the author upon publication.
The entry fee is $35 CDN, and includes a one-year Canadian subscription of Arc*.
Contest entry fees may be paid online or by cheque or money order mailed with your hard copy contest submissions.
If the submission fee is prohibitive to your entry in this contest, we are offering a select number of free entries. These free entries are meant to open the contest up to those who need financial assistance, but we will not be giving free entries a one-year subscription to the magazine. For more information please send queries to email@example.com.
*or two issues to US entrants, or one issue to overseas entrants. Entrants who are currently subscribers may pass along their contest subscription or complimentary issues to a friend. Please include the name and address to which the contest subscription is destined.
- Arc welcomes Poem of the Year entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. Entrants outside Canada must submit entry fees in Canadian funds. Please use the online payment option or mail a cheque or money order in Canadian funds.
- Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems with each $35 fee (extra poems: $5 per poem).
- The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines.
- Entrant’s name, address, e-mail and phone number must not appear on the poems.
- Entrants’ information is concealed during deliberations.
- No entrants (including winners, honourable mentions, or authors of shortlisted poems) may substitute, before, during, or after judging, a revision of any poem already submitted to the contest.
- No poems will be returned.
Early Bird Deadline: Entries submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59 pm, December 31. and may consist of 3 poems for a single entry fee. For entries submitted or postmarked after this date, only the first two poems will be considered.
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. Visit us in April to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote!
Publication: All shortlisted poems will receive paid publication in an upcoming issue of Arc and on the Arc website.
Eligibility: Poems published elsewhere (including excerpts and revised versions) are not eligible for consideration. Should the Arc editorial board discover grounds for disqualification at any point during the judging process (including shortlisting and final judging), the poem will immediately be considered ineligible for the contest. The entry fee will not be refunded, and the poet will receive the subscription to Arc.
Privacy Notice: Unless you indicate otherwise, Arc may share addresses of entrants to the 2020 Poem of the Year Contest with similar literary magazines or related organizations for promotional purposes.
• Arc accepts unsolicited submissions of previously unpublished poems, on any subject, in any form. Submissions received before December 31, 2020, will be considered for the Summer 2021 issue.
• Submissions must not exceed three poems.
• Only three poems per poet will be accepted during each calendar year.
• Our submission manager only accepts one file at a time. In order to submit the files separately you must go through the submission process for each piece you wish to submit. This allows you to provide each submission with the title of your poem and it allows us to group the submissions more easily and update the submitter about the status of each individual poem.